Sunday, September 28, 2008

Not exactly what I expected...

I tried out a new church today. I haven't been to church since I moved up here (except for the weekend I was home in Saskatoon). The first couple of weeks I was just really busy and then the past couple I've been sick. I finally feel like my flu-turned chest cold-turned throat infection-turned sinus cold (ya, it's been a rough couple of weeks) is on its way out so today was the day. I didn't have to wake up too early, because this particular church doesn't start till 11. So I got up and got ready, drove into North Battleford and went to church.

It was really great. The music was wonderful and the people were lovely. I enjoyed the pastor's sermon and I think once I've met some people, I could really feel at home there.

So, that part of the morning was what I was hoping for and expecting. The conversation I had after the service, however, was not.

An older gentleman was sitting a few seats away from me and he leaned over after the service was over and asked what I thought. I, of course, assumed that he was a regular attendee of the church and, knowing I was a newcomer, was welcoming me to the fold. I told him that I thought it was a great service and I really enjoyed the sermon. He immediately began to criticize not only the sermon, but the pastor himself, and then other churches as well. He began on this like, crusade I guess about how the trinity is never actually preached in the bible (the word is never used, I guess). Then he told me that he had been to many other churches and asked to leave because of all his criticism.

Seriously, who is this man who would spend all his time going from one denomination to the next, trying to change their minds about their doctrines? And mine...who does he think he is, trying to influence my decision where I want to worship?

And seriously...who cares if the word trinity is ever used in the bible or not? That doesn't change my faith.

I just thought the whole thing was ridiculous. The funny thing is, he clearly missed the whole point of the sermon. It was about diversity in the church. The pastor had people stand up who were raised among the different denominations of the Christian church. There was someone from every denomination...all in one church, worshipping together. At the end of his sermon, the pastor said "It is not our doctrines that will show the world we are Christians. It is our love."

It seems to me that this old man was not listening, but rather preparing his argument throughout the entire service. I hate it when people don't listen.

And I don't think it's just because I'm a teacher.

2 comments:

Joe said...

Interesting.

I really liked what your preacher had to say about being a Christian. I think too many people get lost in doctrine when faith is all that's needed.

Makes me wonder why the man didn't get that.

Miss Gina said...

I agree. I thought it was a great message. It's really too bad that the man couldn't get over his own stubbornness to hear it.