Thursday, July 5, 2007

Total Greek Experience

Last night Dorian and I went to check out the new Greek restaurant in town. It's called Koutouki and it's on 3rd Ave. The restaurants around it are small Vietnemese/Asian restaurants that have good food, but the interior (and exterior, for that matter) are a bit sketchy...dumpy even. So I was expecting the same of this Greek restaurant.

Not so.

When you walk in, it is absolutely gorgeous. It's lush and multi-leveled and you don't really feel like you're in Saskatoon!

Anyway, we had a late start on our evening, and when we walked in, it was quite empty so we asked if they were closing. The hostess said, "Well, sort of, but you're not the only ones here. It's okay." But then the guy that was seating us, as he sits us at our table, says, "Ya, we are trying to close now, but I mean, you're here, we'll seat you."

Okay, here's my pet peeve. If you don't want to seat us, then don't. Turn us away. If you are going to seat us, then don't say anything and make us feel guilty. That's like when someone does you a favour but complains about it or goes out of their way to let you know how much of an inconvenience it was. That drives me nuts! Just don't do the favour then!

So, I had the Moussaka. I had never had it before, so I thought I'd try something new. It was good and I'm not complaining, but I discovered that ground lamb just tastes like ground beef. So it ended up being a strange version of Shepherd's Pie. But hey, I like Shepherd's Pie!

Anyway, I think they still have some work to do on the menu. For the kind of decor they have in their restaurant and the prices they are charging, their menus really should be more than a laminated piece of paper.

That's enough for today.

1 comment:

kristin janzen said...

i went there with my parents and jeff and lynnel and we had a WONDERFUL experience!!! it was SO much fun, the food was excellent, there was bellydancing and plate smashing, and definitely no guilt making! give it another try sometime! but yes the prices are a bit outragous :)