Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I love the way his mind works!

I wish everyone could meet this kid. Lucas is one of my grade 1 students and he's just the coolest, most inquisitive kid I've ever met. His questions are SO funny, but he doesn't ask them to be funny! It's really just the way he thinks.

I was walking home from school today, listening to my iPod. Lucas saw me and came over to say hi. Here is our conversation:

Lucas-So, did you have lots of fun at school today, Miss Smith?
Me-I sure did, Lucas, did you?
L-Is that your iPod?
M-Yep.
L-Oh. What colour is it? Oh, it's blue?
M-Yep.
L-And do you just like it a lot?
M-I do like it a lot.
L-Oh. (taking it out of my hand and smelling it) What song are you listening to now?
M-I'm actually not listening to a song, I'm listening to a book!
L-How do you listen to a book on there?
M-Well, someone reads the book out loud and then they record it and I put it on my iPod!
L-Oh, how big is the book?
M-Well, it's about this big (holding up my fingers to show the novel thickness).
L-Oh, so that's probably 100 pages I bet.
M-Well, it's probably more like 300 pages.
L-Oh. So is your iPod really old already or is it new?
M-It's probably almost 2 years old.
L-Oh. Where did you get it?
M-I got it for a Christmas present.
L-From who?
M-From my mom and dad.
L-So, I bet it costed about a hundred dollars probably?
M-Well, I think it was more like about $150.
L-Oh. So, they put all their money together to buy it for you?
M-Ya, something like that.
L-So, what does your dad look like?
M-Well, he's pretty tall and he has short dark hair...
L-Is it blacker than yours is?
M-It is. And he has glasses.
L-What kind of glasses are they? Are they like yours?
M-Kind of, but his are glasses for boys.
L-Oh, so are they blue?
M-I think they're black.
L-Oh. So you got your iPod for a Christmas present?
M-Yep.
L-From your mom and dad?
M-Yep.
L-Where did they buy it from?
M-I think it was from Wal-Mart.
L-Which one? (Thinking hard) In Saskatoon?
M-Maybe. Or it might have been in Medicine Hat.
L-Oh. And it was 2 years ago?
M-Ya.
L-Oh. So are you going to have some supper now?
M-Yep.
L-Okay. Bye!

Seriously. Don't you just want to meet this kid?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This made me smile! He sounds like a great kid!