Monday, May 4, 2009

Arachnids and seeing red...

I've blogged before about my students taking care of spiders for me. Now that it is spring, those 8 legged freaks are out again. I had to kill one on my own in my apartment the other day. It. was. HUGE. And I found myself wishing that one of my 7 year olds was here to do it for me.

Anyway, we've only had a couple weeks of nice weather, and they're already making their appearance around the school. So, my students have been taking care of them. And most of the time, they try to get the spiders before I even see them. I love my job.

At our school, spring also brings with it a new obsession. Baseball. Even during the 10 minute recesses, the kids all rush outside with their ball gloves to hopefully get in a solid 7 or 8 minutes before the bell rings again.

So far it hasn't been going well. Last week, a grade 3 student slid into home...and his foot slid into the batcatcher's leg, breaking it (quite badly) in two places.***

Today, one of my students got a bat (mid swing) to the nose. I have SERIOUSLY never seen that much blood come out of someone's nose. It was ALL OVER his coat, his pants, his whole face, his hands, in his mouth...and his nose started swelling IMMEDIATELY. I don't know HOW I stayed so calm, except that perhaps I knew I needed to if I was going to have any chance of calming him down.

Miraculously, his nose is not broken. He's going to be very sore, and no more baseball for him for awhile!

***This kid has TERRIBLE luck. He's had stiches something like 4 times in his life. Now the broken leg, which is casted from his foot to the top of his thigh. If you can believe it, he fell down a short set of stairs this weekend when he was trying to maneuver on his crutches and broke his ankle on his good leg. So now both legs are in a cast.

2 comments:

LynnieC said...

Is it awful that I laughed a little at that kid? That's the worst luck ever.

Miss Gina said...

I know, hey? When his sister, who is one of my students, told me yesterday, I didn't believe her.