Tuesday, October 7, 2008

8 legged freaks

So, all my life I have been afraid of spiders. Big ones, little ones, all of them. The only time I'm not is when I'm in the garden and wearing gardening gloves (which isn't very often).

I don't like killing them. Not because I care whether they live or not (in fact, I would rather them dead...a dead spider means one less spider to shack up with another and make more spider babies), but because I don't want to do the killing. I don't want to get that close to them. I don't want to feel the squish. I'm afraid I might miss and they will attack me.

So, I've avoided doing it myself as much as possible. My dad has been my spider killer most of my life. When I lived at home, I once put a cup on top of a spider for 3 hours till my dad got home and could take care of that disgusting little creature.

I've been mocked by many for letting my dad (or whoever else was around) do the killing. I've been told that I would have to start taking care of them myself someday.

Well, now I have twenty-six 6-8 year olds to do it for me. Seriously, I told one of my students (after finding out that she likes spiders) that she would have to take care of them for me and somehow, it's caught on. The other day I was in the middle of reading them a story and one of my grade one boys said, "Miss Smith, don't look down. Just back up. I'll take care of it." And he did.

Much more calmly than I would have.

4 comments:

Shannon said...

That, is a hilarious story. Where was that little boy the time we were going home for Thanksgiving and the spider attacked us in the car and neither of us was willing to kill it so we had to pull over and scream for awile till it went into hiding?

Joe said...

An action hero in the making!

Very cute story.

Anonymous said...

Lol!! that's awesome! I'm not so scared of spiders but I don't like the squish either.

arimich said...

That is so cute!